I just want to recognize that today is my grandpa Pete's birthday. He was born in 1922 so that would make him 86 years old. I don't remember my grandpa much because he died in 1989 from heart failure and I was only eight.
I remember every Sunday going to his house and eating his popcorn! He was always willing to saddle up the horses and let me and my cousins go for a horse ride around Newdale. Or in the winter he would hook up the sleigh to the horses and take us all around town. It was so much fun. I remember he played the harmonica and had a nice tenor singing voice. We'd go up to Mack's Inn and camp together a lot. He was goofy sometimes and liked to tease. He always let us kids sit on his lap when he was relaxing in the rocking chair, even though he probably didn't feel well. He liked his pickup trucks and always kept them clean. Grandpa was hard working. My dad told me that in his business partnership with Robinsons he always preferred to be the one out working the land while Wally handled the money and business end. And my mom tells me that I share a characteristic with grandpa in that we're both tenderhearted.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Happy Birthday Grandpa Howard
I wish i remembered more and that i could write more eloquently about him. and if any of my relatives would like to share a memory or something they know about grandpa Pete please do. We need to remember him, so his legacy is not lost.
( I'm sorry i don't have a picture to share of him but my scanner is not working)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Glad to be reminded. He was a good guy. Made me feel accepted. He would tease me and call me MaryAlice, mixing my name with my sister-laws. I miss him and your Grandma. Those were some good days.
I remember the green carpet in your grandpa's house. Since we were both young, I remember your grandma a little bit better. But I do remember him saddling up horses and riding around on the sleigh in the winter. I remember one time in the holidays we went sledding behind the snowmobiles behind his house until about 8pm. It was awesome.
Wow, what a great idea. I remember sitting with him on that couch next to the stair railing while he read. I remember him sitting at the bar on those big old stools eating ice cream and I remember watching him drive a big green tractor in the field out by your house. I remember riding one of his horses with....you maybe?....and about falling off the back because I wasn't sitting on the saddle when the horse stepped on some wire. Sure wish I could remember more. Better yet, I wish he was still around. I'd love for my kids to meet him. Happy birthday grandpa Pete!
I remember your grandpa helping me cut seed potatoes and teaching me how to scoop up the potatoes. The crew consisted of just him and me. I also remember the year we went to bring him and grandma home form Phoenix, AX. They had 5 flat tires on the way home and just outside Rexburg as your father pulled out the little piece of carpet to kneel on, your grandfather was crying so hard he had tears in his eyes. I also remember going out to feed the horses in our home in Newdale and finding him standing by a horse with plastic bags tied to the saddle, one leg tied up and something else really weird. He looked up at me with a grin across his face and told me he was just training the horse. I was relieved I didn't have to call the funny farm. He was quite a character.
I remember when he bought his grey Ford pickup. Him and I went on a ride in it get more oxygen so he could breathe and on the way over he had the air-conditioning so cold that my skin was pale. I also remember that he had lemon heads in his desk drawer. I would always sneak in and take a few. I also remember when he bought grandma her new Buick Park Avenue, and all the men went out in the garage and we "popped the hood". That was the car back in 1989!
Post a Comment